Thursday, March 11, 2010

Back in Time

When I was 4-6, we lived in Inuvik, NWT. I have many memories of living up there because it was so different than anything else that I remember of my childhood. When I saw this commercial the other day - I was stunned. It bought back alot of memories because frankly the place has not changed at all. The school at the beginning is the same and those stairs the children are climbing, I remember climbing. The catholic church in the shape of an igloo is still there and the multi colored row homes are still there. Seeing the darkness, seeing all the Inuit people, seeing the parkas and scarves wrapped dozens of times really made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Kind of hard to believe considering that it was probably -20 when they took that footage.
I don't remember ever being cold because when you are kid, the warmth you feel comes from being with the people you love and having a place to call home.
This commercial will bring different feelings to you - let me know what they are. Does it make you feel cold? Does it look really primitive? What do you see?
Sometimes I wonder if those two years with little sun has contributed to having Seasonal Affective Disorder - :)
Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abkIIypRWv4&NR=1

2 comments:

  1. That was an awesome commercial Gloria! It put a smile on my face.... :o)
    But since I am not a snow person and LOVE the warm sun, I don't think I could ever live there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Time to move. Phil says he might buy me 100 acres in Nunavut somewhere for our retirement home. ;) Every one looks cozy warm to me, in those parkas.

    ReplyDelete