Wednesday, November 10, 2010

We Love You Opa!!!

This morning in the early hours our dear Opa went to be with his LORD and Saviour.
We are thankful for all the times we had together and we are also thankful that yesterday Will and I were able to be with him and the family at the hospital. He died peacefully and surrounded by those that love him.
I found these pictures from last year Nov. 11 when we went to visit him. We have made it a tradition in our family to visit Opa on that day to thank him for his contribution to WWII.
He was always a fighter, even at the end.
We are just so thankful that he doesn't have to fight anymore but can live in heavenly peace.
Matthew drew a series of pictures representing a fight at a castle where Hitler lost.

All of our children loved Opa and it is still shock to them that he is gone.
Matthew cried this morning when we told him and said "But who will be my Opa now?"
I told him that Opa will always be Opa no matter where he is.


Here you can see that Opa is singing with the kids. Opa loved singing and I'm so glad we did that for him last night at the hospital.

Now they are laughing.

The last picture I could find of just me and Opa.
When I moved to BC 15 years ago - Opa and Aunt Sylvia took me in. I have lots of good memories of our times together.
He was a father figure for me then and continued to be so after Will and I married and had our family. He counselled Will and I on numerous topics and we always appreciated his good advice.
I will miss him alot because I loved him alot.
Opa was instrumental in helping Ethan get over some bumps.
I think Ethan will always remember that.

When we left that day - Oma gave Peter some parsley from the garden and this is how he fell asleep with it in the van.
-------------------------------------------------------
This morning Peter said "Opa is with your Mom now and with all our babies!!".
Out of the mouth of babes.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Lord for the gift of good Opas and that he is now with you and praising you perfectly forever. Opa, we will always love you.


6 comments:

  1. Our condolences to you and your family, Gloria... Isn't it amazing to see earthly death through our children? They have such a different way of looking at things...
    We are praying for strength and peace for you as you go about the task of burying your grandfather's body, and may our Heavenly Father give you peace and joy knowing you will one day see him again in Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Gloria -- our condolences to you at this time. May the memories you have give you strength -- and may the peace of Christ give you hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gloria! What a beautiful post. I bawled like crazy. Our kids will also miss him. Josiah still is in shock a bit. He keeps shaking his head. We are thankful that opa is in heaven and we will meet again. {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Opa. What a blessing that your children will have such special memories about a great-grandparent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our condolences, Gloria. It's always hard when a loved one leaves us, even when we know they are in a better place. I'm glad you have so many recent photos, and that you and your kids have made so many great memories with your Opa.
    Come Lord Jesus, Maranatha!

    ReplyDelete