Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reap What You Sew - Sewing Projects April-June 2011

Sew....I found this quilting store in Lynden, where my sister lives. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? All good I'm thinking. The first time I didn't buy anything but found out about their fat quarter sale in April. 25 for $25. Pretty good deal. Plus, the fabric spray is half the price there as at Fabricland. The next time I visited ma soeur I stopped in and stocked up on some colors for some projects I have going. Now that I am typing I realize that I didn't photograph the orange and yellow prints. I'll show that next time.

The pile on the left is for the quilt in our bedroom (ongoing project that I need to just GET DONE!!) and the one on the right is for a new inspiration that I can not say too much about. What I can tell you is that I hope to make a variation on the Wishing Well pattern.




Here I'm just playing around with the camara and the light etc...




I love these prints.



I also love how they fold these fat quarters into triangles at this store. So cool!!!




Here are the pants that I sewed up for Nadia. Aren't the turtles cute!!!


Thank you to L. for the pattern.


As you can probaably tell I ended up using flannel - I couldn't find any jersey cotton that I thought would be good for a baby girl. They are alittle big but they will fit her nicely for camping and in the fall.
I may make some more now that I know what I am doing. It took me two hours but next time should be easier.











Here is the quilt that Aleana and her second cousin Leah worked on for Family Fun Night.


I love all the bright colors. They did all the planning and decision making, and most of the sewing. I ended up sewing most of the buttons on because we just plain ran out of time at the end to get all of us together. This was such a fun project and it was such a pleasure for me to witness how well Aleana and Leah worked together. The way they encouraged one another and built each other up was something I did not even have to facilitate - they were already doing it!!


Good work girls!!! Not one relational glich through the hours we spent together just some seams that needed ripping but in the end aren't relationships more important to keep together?


I will always smile when I think of this quilt and I am so glad that Auntie Lee bought it because this way it stays in the family too. A nice family heirloom.


No pattern, just two girls and their own creativity.


Matthew wanted a plant in his room - we picked an African Violet. He is so happy with his plant - I guess it's his nurturing nature. It replaces the fish that flopped.





This is a bad picture of the curtains I sewed for the boys room.



This is a better picture. I copied the curtains from Ethan's room and I was happy at how fast they went together but I find them a little ruffly for a boys room. You can't see it on the picture but the fabric is denim print - I thought that would add to the boy look.


What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. NICE WORK!! I love it and admire those who do well at it. To be honest, it isn't something I would enjoy. Although I can see Julie really enjoying that. She sewed a purse with a friend out of old jeans and loved it! Woodworking on the otherhand and fixing old furniture could be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Aleana and Leah, what a beautiful quilt!! Great fabric Gloria, does this mean you will come and visit me more often. ;) I think the curtains look fine, but I also have no sense of style so my opinion may not mean much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt! Great work girls! Not only a great job but their own design. That's pretty amazing.

    As to the boy's window covering, can you reduce some of the ruffle by cutting them a bit smaller? I can't tell if they are gathered and then hung or if they are gathered on the rod. If so, you can easily make them a bit smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are gathered on the rod, so I'll just make them smaller.
    That's a great idea - Thanks Mom D!!!

    ReplyDelete