Friday, March 25, 2011

Spotting Phrase Study

Fumble all you want as long as you function.
This is my favourite spotting phrase.
Before I begin let me explain what a spotting phrase is.
It is a phrase that you have memorized and pull up when you need to use it.
Sometimes it can be a reminder to correct your thoughts or behaviour, but it can also act as something that reminds you of how much our minds can effect our mood.
This one is my favorite because it reminds me on bad mornings that I don't have to feel spry and energetic but I do have to get moving. Functioning is the goal here so yes it will get done but it doesn't have to be perfect.
For example - I know that once I eat breakfast, have my Vit. D pills, drink some water, have a shower and use my Go-Lite from Philipps that I will feel better. Not 100% but better and that's why I fumble myself towards that end and move on with the day
INSTEAD of crawling back into bed.
In some Christian circles you hear alot about "forgiving yourself". Well, you will read none of that here - it's simply not biblical. Only the LORD forgives and we are called to forgive one another. That being said, this spotting phrase releases us from the guilt that comes from too high expectations on our selves. If you can implement just this one spotting phrase into your day when you need it, you will be thankful for not quitting and for being given the strength to function in your role as mother and wife!!
This phrase can be used with Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".
What those "things" are, are different for everyone and some days are better than others.
If you can just get dressed and function - that's great!
If you can just get those dishes washed - that's great!
Go slow, go low but just keep going.
You don't have to leave a comment here. E-mail me if you want your comment to be more private. Regardless, feedback is much appreciated!!
What are your thoughts?
Do you have a similar phrase that you use?
Disclaimer: These spotting phrases are from Dr. Abraham Low and Recovery Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, dear sister Gloria. It is a very beautiful Bible verse: Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"! So true! In Christ, we can find strength!

    ReplyDelete