Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Diamond Rule


This is the book I am reading right now during our nursing sessions.
It's about a Christian colony that was started in the 1800s in Aurora, Oregon.
They lived in community, off the land and excelled in arts and crafts, one of which is quilting.
Anybody interested in joining me? Tehe.

I just read something interesting about the colony.
The leader of the colony promoted the golden rule: Do to others as you would have them do to you. Everyone knows about the golden rule, even unbelievers.

But have you ever heard about the Diamond Rule?

It means to do to others even more so than you would have them do to you.

Reading is something I try to sneak in when I can whenever I can. This is the other book I am reading right now. I highly recommend it to anyone - it's a great review of the tenets of the Christian faith and goes through all the different characteristics that we know of God from Scripture. It has certainly strengthened my faith and driven me to read my Bible more.

In the process I would have to say that I know God (mysterious as He is) better and worry less about the things I don't know because of that very fact!!!

I am on the chapter about God's generosity. WOW!!! One line that has had me thinking for days is this:

To be truly generous is to want more for another than you have for yourself.

That brings us back to the Diamond Rule...do to others MORE than you would have them do to you. And isn't that what Jesus did? He made the ultimate sacrifice for us.




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Gloria,
    Enjoyed your blog. Things to remember for me, too. The shots of Ethan and Aleana are super!
    Freezing the motion on a photo is pretty awesome.
    Love,
    Dad and Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a lot of trys to get the pictures right. Ethan's isn't the greatest though.
    ~Aleana~

    ReplyDelete