Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 5, 2011 Quilting Retreat

This quilt was done by Karen D. and I always love the fabrics she uses. She did some really funky squiggle cutting on the one side that I am still puzzled about - I'm sure it's extremely easy once it is explained :). Beautiful!!!


This year the quilting retreat was in Yarrow Can. Reformed Church. It was a one day event that lasted from 9am to 9pm. It was so awesome to see what everyone has been up to over the past year and to learn bits and pieces as the day went on. By lunch time my cheeks were sore from laughing and smiling so much - a sure sign of a good time. I guess it helped that the ladies sitting next to me were having a hoot. I hope they go again next year :).





I don't remember the names of all the quilts or who made them but I will comment on each of them. I love the bright colors and the green in this one. This was made by Susan O. and it was made to be donated to the Pro-Life society. Thank you Susan - that was so nice of you!



I tried my best to take a picture of all the quilts that were on display so if I have missed anyone I do apologize - it was not done on purpose. You know how competitive quilters can get :).

My personal favorites are the ones that have the brighter colors but really all of them were beautiful and each one was so uniquely done.


The maker of this one is on the tip of my tongue - maybe another one from Susan O.? Regardless, I love the color combo and how she worked it so that pink and red are together. Good job!!!

I worked on pinwheels during the retreat and Nadia was great. She had two long naps and several great women took turns holding her for me. She also discovered tht joys of an exersaucer. I am so thankful that my friend M. lent me one today. It'll be great for little miss go getter.

This table topper is really jazzy with the pinwheels and the stars - made with shiny fabrics in purples is a sure eye-catcher.



This quilt has a story attached. The quilter's friend's father passed away and the quilt is made out of her friend's Dad's old shirts. Isn't that a nice memorial? It's called "Mr. Martin's Shirts".

Another table topper with curved tulips - I can't imagine that being easy.

I love these colors and scallopped edges look so nice!!

This is fellow blogger Tania's quilt for her daughter M. I love the fabrics and the circles have inspired me to add that to my quilting "to do" list. It's beautiful Tania!!

I just have fallen in love with these fabrics - I have seen them some where in cyber space before and I should know the line they are from :).


You will see this one again later.

Karen D. made this one for her daughter and I like the design off to the side - so whimsical. I've seen it before (stripes off to the side) and I want to try it sometime. I love green!!

Very elegant.


Happy Birthday banner with some vests.


Mrs. Bep L. made this using reverse applique. I'm not sure what that is myself but it is gorgeous. I have to type in Mrs. for this lady because I know her from my growing up years in St. Albert, AB and I have always called her Mrs. I was happy to see her at the retreat!

This one is from Mrs. L. as well using the same process.
This is called Alberta Rose - it makes me all warm and mushy inside. Just like the song "alberta Bound" by Paul Brandt. Makes me all tear up. I would never move back because of the long winters but it was great growing up there :).

Cute, cute, and more cute.

Here's the whole quilt - I think it's by Kathleen V.
Red and white (and some cream) is very attractive.


More fabrics that I could just eat up!!!

Where have we seen this one before?
I just wanted a pic. of it hanging up.
Wow! That's bright!

Here's a shot of quilters at work in the Yarrow church.
See the group in the back chit chatting? That's what it is all about.
Sharing and learning from each other.
The blocks women brought for our pro-life quilt.
What a great idea!!

Susan O. brought her ongoing Hexagon quilt. Isn't it beautiful?

Here is a quilt made from the green charm swap from last year.
I was not able to go last year but I did the blue charm swap and I am still in the cutting process of doing something with them. They will be in a star quilt I am making for our bed.

Thank you to every one who came and made the day so fantastic.
See you next year!!!

4 comments:

  1. WOW. Makes my first attempt at a quilt seem so pathetic. :oP
    I am working on one for Lauren and hope to have the border done in the next day or two so I can get it up on my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the pink and gray one is Geri's and the white and red one is susans. :)Wasnt it fun ! I have to admit I got so giddy seeing Nadia ! Would I be able to have some of your quilt pic? I would love to do a blog post ,I only took some of inside and none of the quits :( although I do have about 6 of nadia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. They are all soo beautiful. What a neat way to spend a day. I'm sure you enjoyed yourself.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS! What talent!!

    Rose B.

    ReplyDelete