Saturday, January 19, 2013

Update on Sewing Goal 1

On Friday I spent about an hour adding the borders to the baby quilt.  Now here's the rub.  How honest should I be?  I am quite embarassed about this quilt. I'm starting to feel that batiks are not "appropriate" for a baby quilt.  They are too mature.  So that's one of the first things that is bothering me. Initially I was quite happy with my design for the quilt which I named "Rainbow Burst".  I'll  try to add a picture because I think the colors are gorgeous. Sewing 2 1/2" squares together however, proved to be a challenge for me.  I am NOT happy with how they line up. It was my first try at it and I chose to use the strip/tube method to go faster.  After I added the borders I looked at the finished product and I could have cried.  It is not "squaring up" very well at all.  It's so bad that the top looks all twisted.  AHHHHH.  At this point I have two options (that I am aware of).

OPTION 1: Wash the top and stretch the sides so that they match up.  Will this even work for being out by 1-2 inches??

OPTION 2: Cut the borders until the width is the same size and the length is the same size.  If I do this the borders will not look right - I could then claim that this part of the quilt is "wonky" or modern and then I could add another border to finish it up.

Any other ideas???  Which OPTION do you think I should go with?  Have you ever made a quilt that you were really unhappy with?  I've never been this upset with a quilt before and I would really appreciate any help that you may have. 
Sorry, at this point I don't have a picture of the quilt with the borders.  Hopefully, next week!!! 


  IMG_5214 by WillF5IMG_5195 by WillF5IMG_5244 by WillF5

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gloria,

    The colours of your quilt are beautiful, and I think batik is completely appropriate for a baby!

    There are a few things you could do if the quilt is just too wonky. You could just skip the borders entirely, and it would be a lot less noticeable that it's wonky. Baste it up and quilt it thoroughly and call it good.

    You could go all avante garde and make the quilt an oval. Iron it really well, make a template out of newspaper and just hack off the corners. Then sew it pillow style or use a bias binding.

    Otherwise, you can just fudge it, find the average size of the sides and work the borders in the best you can. Try to make the borders the same size within 1/2 - 1 inch, and fudge the quilt to the borders.

    The good thing is that it will spend most of its time being loved and slobbered on by a happy baby.
    :)

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the oval idea!! Mostly because I'm running out of time here :). Thanks for giving me some more ideas Jan.

    ReplyDelete