Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Michelle's Quilt - The Tutorial that Wasn't

So I wanted to do a tutorial and I had it mostly planned out EXCEPT for the fact that I wing alot of my sewing.  (ie: my idea of "a plan" is a vague idea of how to start and then making it up as I go!)  So it didn't work out when it got to the measuring part and my squares were not the same size as my white squares - I couldn't fix it because they were smaller and not bigger.  
It all worked out fine but for a tutorial - it would be irresponsible to direct people in doing what I did.  
Here I will share - a half tutorial.  The idea is to inspire others and give you your own ideas on how to use up a jelly roll (20 - 2 1/2 inch wide strips) in your own beautiful creative way.  Once you have your squares - you are on your own.  

I was inspired from a Hidden Wells (original hidden wells pattern) quilt I did about 6 years ago for a friend living far away. I loved the pattern back then and I still do!!!
It uses different size strips and a different technique later on.  I take no credit for this design as I am sure it's out there somewhere with a name.  This is not for my own credit. This is just to share what came out of my brain - the mistakes are quite unique to Gloria but I totally understand that the design may not be.  

So take four of your strips from your jelly roll and sew them together like so.  Try to graduate light to dark or dark to light.  
I made my first mistake by not doing that here.  Square off the end and then measure your width (in an ideal world they should measure 9 1/2 inches).  Press all seams in one direction. 

Use that number to measure and cut your squares.  I think mine ended up being 9 and 1/4 inches. 

Cut diagonally across like so. 


And again the other way to create an X like so.  


To keep things organized (especially with little ones about) I used this disposable casserole tray for all of my triangles. Keep them in the square shapes.  

This is the fun part.  You can decide how you want to do this.  
I decided to make my way counter clockwise and started to connect the top triangle with the left one. 
Then, I sewed the left one to the bottom and on I went until all the triangles were sewn to make squares. .  
The original Wells pattern I used labeled the squares A-D and combined different ones.  There are many combinations you can make up!!! 

I then ended up with one O 

And one X.  Sew all four squares together.  You'll have two left overs from the original set.  Set these aside for scrappy squares if you wish.  

At this part I pressed seams open to help with the bulk. 

I enjoyed free motion quilting in the white squares.  I used my old machine (I was under the gun to get this done and didn't know the new one yet) and that was a good lesson to me why I needed a new one!!  

I alternated my squares with white ones so that I could use up my whole jelly roll.  If you had two jelly rolls (of 20 strips each) you could do a more kaleidoscope look with just the colored squares. 


I also had some fun and made some pinwheels. 




I had left over pieces and then I made these scrappy ones.  



I used more of the strips on the back so I could fold over for an easy scrappy binding. You can't see it in this picture unfortunately.  You can see it a bit on the square pictures.   
I gave this to my sister Michelle because the jelly roll matched her living room perfectly!!! 
Have fun!!

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome, and I love it!!! I will treasure it forever!

    Love the owner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how the quilt turned out and love that you do free motion quilting! You brave soul!

    ReplyDelete