Thursday, August 11, 2011

Why I Started to Quilt

Recently, I was reading about two women and their journey into quilting. One started to sew because when she was in high school she wanted cool clothes and could not afford to buy them. The other suffered from narcolepsy and not being able to hold done a "real" job had thrown her into a life where her hobby became her job. Jealous? Having to deal with a "sleep attack" in the middle of a sewing project that you just have to get done, would not be welcome by most avid quilters who work frenticly towards the end of the deal. Two very different journeys, yet both passionate about the craft.

What about you? Why did you start to sew/quilt? What drives you to your sewing space? What feelings does sewing espouse within you? Does it connect you with others perhaps? Does it bring up good memories of days gone by?

I would like to explore these questions in the next "installment" (tehe, that sounds almost snobbish :)) and share with you what quilting means to me. This is going to take awhile because it means ALOT to me. Being a hypocondriac means that I am now concerned about this narcolepsy disorder - if I don't get myself up the stairs soon I'll be sleeping on this keyboard AND I will miss watching my ten o'clock news. Maybe I can stay awake just long enough to see what new disasters have happened in the world and just be thankful that number one: I can control my sleeping and number two: that God is in control of the world.

Have a great night!! In the hands of God, Gloria

1 comment:

  1. I think, for me, quilting started with a love for fabric and colour. When my kids were younger, it was a way for me to create something that stayed created by the end of the day. Over time, it's become a way for me to express love and warmth and friendship in something tangible.

    ReplyDelete