Monday, March 30, 2015

Sweet and Simple Seams Sleep Sack


This is the second sleep sack I've made since January.  I can not find the pictures I took for the first.  They are either on the camara or computer somewhere!!!  It was a simple up-cycle of one of Will's T-shirts but I left the bottom open and little miss got all tangled up in it one day after deciding to try take it off.  I should have taken a picture - it was purely pathetic.  I knew I had to make the real deal. 
The ones I made for winter here are warm and cozy but with the zipper on the side, she was happy as a lark to unzip and take them off!!!  


We had continually resorted to the 12 month - Simple Seams Sack Grandma had made for Madilyn - but she was not comfortable in it being so small and I felt alittle like it was more like a straight jacket for her than a sleep sack (because it was so small).  Otherwise, it worked great - if we put it on BACKWARDS.  

So I checked my stash and found two meters (just enough!!) of flannel I had found at VV boutique for $2 each.  

Here's the pattern from Karen DeMooy that I borrowed from Grandma Hilda. 

It was quite easy to use - I made one big mistake but that's just me - I usually read instructions the opposite of what it means until it's too late.  I learn by trial and error.  That can be frustrating when you are a perfectionist but I'm learning to accept that about myself :).  

I have to finish the zipper with a top stitch yet but we needed to use it FAST so I'll have to find a moment to get to it.  I had to modify the pattern so the front and back were opposite, I also had the zipper coming from the top so she can't reach it.  That was all challenging but worked out in the end.  See the little  "V" I put in the front collar?  It's cute but not what I had intended. 

This only took me 3 and a half hours to make!!  Without mistakes it would be under 3.  
I gave it to her when she woke up in the morning and she smiled and actually said "Thanks Mom!". 
What a kid!!!  Little did she know...now she kicks and screams when I put it on but goes to sleep in five minutes.  What a great invention!!!  Good workout for a busy Mom too!! These busy bodies like to make me sweat!! 

Here she is playing with her mashed potatoes.  It was so cute because she was singing at the same time.  We got it on video.  Funny memory. 

2 comments:

  1. Gloria, the sleep sack turned out great!! I am glad you found a pattern as things have been hopping here. Sorry I didn't get time to make a pattern.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about the pattern Cindy - it was alot to ask from a busy Mom:).
    I have realized that I didn't sew the zipper in totally right. That's okay because now that I've done 3 I am least over my zipper phobia. My daughter is helping me and teaching me things and that's ever so wierd but a huge blessing. When your children exceed you in things like computer, cellphone, and sewing knowledge it's very humbling :)> but very natural and can bring alot of laughs too!!!

    ReplyDelete